Mbak Devina, a wife of the successor of Batik Kidang Mas, Rudy Siswanto, came to share the recipe of Sambal Goreng Udang Tauco (spicy shrimp with bean sauce). This is the favorite dish of the Tjan family that is regularly cooked by Mbak Devina’s mother-in-law, Mrs. Djoeniati, who is commonly called ‘Oma Kian.’
Let’s prepare the ingredients!
- Red chilis (the bigger ones)
- Red hot chilis (the smaller ones)
- Coconut milk.
Tauco (paste made from preserved fermented yellow soybeans) in Lasem is generally saltier than that in other areas. The fermented beans are usually rinsed with water for several times in order to lessen the amount of salt contained.
How to make it?
- Stif-fry the onions and garlics until they get withered.
- Chop up the chilis and add them into the pan.
- Put the shrimps in the pan.
- Pour the tauco.
- Pour the coconut milk. Add some sugar to the taste. No need to add any salt!
- Stir until all gets thick. Try and adjust to your taste. Take the pan off the stove and put the food on the plate.
You can serve Sambal Goreng Udang Tauco with warm white or red rice. Add some crackers and fried dishes, such as bakwan jagung (corn fritter snack) or fried tofu! Yummy!
Enjoy your food!